Sunday, January 3

Resolving

This New Year's, we are behind.
The house cleaning is still being done piecemeal. We're making our postcards tonight. Our resolutions are still in the dusty attics called our minds.

Yet, I'm okay with it. We did eat black-eyed peas, cornbread, and spinach (the standard substitute for collard greens in my home). We fell asleep way before midnight and woke up way after the first sunrise.



In an attempt to draw those resolutions out of their shadowy corners, I'm going to use my mother's typical wish for the new year: to be healthy, wealthy, and wise.

I've started on the healthy part by returning to my roots: resuming a vegetarian diet and including a ballet workout in my daily schedule. I'm weaving more macrobiotic elements in our meals, which works well here in Japan. Vegetables and I are becoming good friends and I am learning about all the unknown varieties that dwell in baskets at the local markets, a cloak of soil still dusting their flesh.

I don't know if it's due to my recent acceptance into the 30-club or having three dependents, but suddenly my health is center stage. I want to live a long time. There are grandchildren, great-grandchildren to hold, books to write and read, countries to explore. I have a lot to do.



The wealthy part has no definitive scheme. It's more in the positive thinking pool, floating lazily around. We are getting better with budgeting and making the most of our relative "wealth".

The wise part does have concrete elements, but for now I will just speak for myself. This December, I will finish my master's degree. I will start a daily Japanese study of two hours a day. That's enough to declare.



Above all, we are feeling a little timid right now. 2010 is looming above us with promises and expectations and we are honestly not ready to grab hold and climb onto the back of the tiger. But perhaps tomorrow?

xoxo

No comments: