Friday, April 1

Deer Vs. Antelope

our 'hood::kitaku

Sorry for the crickets around here lately. We have yet to be shaken from the planet and the radiation threats turn out to be something you can learn to live with.

I have been busy back at work, preparing for year two. We've been in Nagoya for a year now, as hard as it is to believe. It has not been the most gentle year but I do think we have learned many lessons here. Our most recent one: read the fine print on your visa.

I made a small, tiny mistake when I neglected to notice that my daughter's visa was not for one year past the date when she received her visa. No, that would have been logical. Instead, it expired in January and so this means that at this very moment, she is a criminal.

In 2004, Japan passed some very controversial and strict immigration laws regarding overstay-ers like Colette. There is no age discrimination involved with immigration.

I went yesterday to try and get everything sorted. After waiting for 2 hours, I was shown into a tiny office and two options were laid before me: Colette could be deported now and banned from the country for one year or I could fight the deportation order with a slew of paperwork and if I win, she gets a special-permission-to_stay sticker in her passport. If I lose, she gets the boot and can't come back for 5 years. Insanity, ne?

I chose Door #2, the fight door. I think if I gather enough sheets of paper that they'll forgive me. I mean my daughter. It's brutal out there, it really is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just let me know if you need me to come and pick her up to babysit her for awhile. Auntie Liz