Monday, May 14

Disconnected

swing

We've been offline since Wednesday night. (It involved an ignored letter from the internet company that came during my hospital stay... no real trouble just the lack of response on our part.) It is funny being offline for such an extended period. There are so many things that we use the internet for in our daily lives: communication, instant knowledge, inspiration.  The first day without it was really interesting as there were never so many things we needed to know until we were cut off. By yesterday, we were chuckling to ourselves how off-the-grid we were.

Reconnected, we found we really did not miss much besides for wishing our mothers and all of our friends who are mothers a lovely Mother's Day. (by the way, Happy Mother's Day!)

And the bittersweet news that Maurice Sendak died.
Is bittersweet a strange term to use in the face of one of my favorite illustrator's death? I loved Sendak's work but that came second to my admiration for his actual self. He was a frank person and did what he wanted in life without bowing to anyone else's direction. For any creative type, he was a remarkable inspiration. I will never have the courage to be as blunt as he was but I hope that I can be as determined and confident as he was as I go along my own creative path.

I say bittersweet because anyone that has heard Sendak talk recently, be it on the Colbert Report or in the documentary made after they cinematized Where The Wild Things Are, would be aware that Sendak was deeply heartbroken following the death of his partner. He was upset by how quickly everyone around him  were passing on, including his faithful dog. A few months ago, a Fresh Air aired with a very intimate interview with Sendak. If you haven't heard the interview, please give it a listen. It is one of the best things I had the privilege of listening to in the past year.  It will make you cry. I think Sendak probably felt a great relief in dying, a release from both the physical and emotional pain he suffered for the last several years. And so it is with the full meaning of the words that I say: rest in peace, Maurice Sendak.

No comments: