Monday, January 31

Detours+Destinations



There is no doubt that I am experiencing a brief period of grief for the loss of the preschool position. I read a blog post on the matter and I am grateful now to have the framework to describe my current state. Teaching is a deeply personal profession and since we teachers depend on schools to provide us with our livelihoods, selecting a good school is crucial. In attempting to be hired by the preschool, I was actually trying to shift my career from being a language teacher to being a classroom teacher of young learners. Not being able to do this on my first attempt, I have to reassess if I want to make such a transition.

In fact, right now I am forced to do a lot of introspective inquiries (well, more than usual for a Buddhist and amateur philosopher). One thing I have determined is that I am not that keen on committing to either language teaching or preschool teaching. Or anything that requires me to be out of the home for most of the week. I want to concentrate on my writing and (this is difficult to share) my art. I want to learn how to communicate in Japanese so that I can meet other people who like concentrating on their creative endeavors.

So this is the blessing in disguise of this failed application to the preschool.
Instead of worrying about jobs, I am going to use my non-teaching time better. Wish me luck in this. It's easier to write resumes than short stories.

xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am compelled to comment on this and might perhaps get a bit verbose. I have been teaching for about 20 years and pretty much let it consume me. Lesson plans, grading, meetings, concerns over students not learning, testing, trying to reach that unreachable student, new curriculum, new textbooks, new standards, workshops,No Child Left Behind, that one silver bullet that will help every child succeed. Through the years I have seen other teachers experiencing similar things. It took a health scare to help me get my priorities straight. Teaching was my vocation. It consumed me until I realized it is just an occupation. Everyone who wants to pay their bills must have one; some are lucky to find an occupation that fulfills them. Some are not. Your occupation, whether a language teacher or a preschool teacher, does not define you. Don't get me wrong. You continue to do your best while employed at your occupation but don't let it swallow you. Teaching is a job that will demand all of your time but even if you had more time in your day (which we often bemoan) you would still wish for more. There is always more to be done. Such is life. That is what tomorrow is for. Next time you catch yourself saying you are going to school, stop and correct yourself: You are going to work. You must learn to separate your work life and your home life. I know it is difficult but by leaving your job where it belongs you will be 100% in the now of your real life, enjoying your children before they get to the age where they are not so enjoyable (adolescence!!!!!!) and embracing the adventure of living in a different country. Just some advice from your older sister.